Saturday, June 14, 2008

DADDY...

Daddy…? (Poem)

Did you ever take me into a bath?
Do you remember my soft little hands?
That you burned
From the cigarette
In your hand
Were you there?
When mom was giving me bith?
Were you there?
When I fell and got hurt
Cause I don’t remember
You helping me dust off
The dirt
You did while I was a kid
Mom said you went to work
But you was really wit yo work
To me it sounds berserk
Makes my heart hurt
Makes me wanna bury you in the dirt
Put you in the hearse
And when I’m not there I’ll say i went to work
Wining and dining
Is where you will find me
With a smile rather than grief
I’m sure you can’t believe
These words are coming from me
But I can’t pretend you got that daddy rank at 10
What did you think
We were friends
Come on now lets not pretend
10 + 3 =
Is when I shut your door?
And threw away the key
I know I too can’t believe
You left us before I could turn 3
Feel pity for you... oh please

You need to find you a dream
Or check-in with reality
Because I’M DADDY-FREE
No, I’m not counting Pete
He’s my D.P. feel me
I’m sure you don’t
But he will when he reads

He’s the daddy that encourages me
Even though he’s locked-up
In the penitentiary
He still has time for me
You may not believe
But if you could only see
He’s got mad love for me
No dad
No daddy
It’s
D.P
Jennifer Meyers
.
Personal Analysis of the Poem
.
Daddy…? Fathers, like mothers, are not born.
Men grow into fathers

.
“Did you ever take me into a bath?” With this condemnatory question Jennifer Meyers begins her heart-felt poem titled “Daddy”, to express her resentment toward her father. The poem is plenty of aggrieved feelings caused by the abandon and the lack of affect suffered during an important period of her life. In general, there are no events happening in the story, just a teen expressing her feeling when she feels alone, the main object of the author is the father, and it can be known by the little of the poem, “daddy”, which sounds sarcastic when she refers to her father. On the one hand, there are three people in this poem, the author herself, her mom and her father, to whom she dedicates the poem. A sense of complaint is the tone of the poem. Although, a great part of the resentment seems to have been fed by her mother, it is common that many women tell her children about the treat they have ever received from their husbands. This can be noticed when the author asks: “Do you remember my soft little hands that you burned from the cigarette in your hand?” Certainly, in the text the author seems to be strongly affected by the loneliness she had to face without her father. On the other hand, in the poem, the reader can observe a growing world tendency, "machismo" which refers to aggressive masculine pride that implies an abusive attitude toward women. “Were you there when mom was giving me birth?” This shows a well-known social problem that affects the society. This way, as the traditional structure of husband, wife, and children gives way to other forms of family life, single-parent families have become a permanent and noticeable feature in many societies today, “Mom said you went to work, but you was really wit yo work, to me it sounds berserk, makes my heart hurt” Here the author shows that she would not have wanted her to suffer the pain of watching her father leave. To conclude, the poem is written using neither stanzas, nor couplets, nor quatrains. It constitutes a free verse poem, which entire body of text reflects a marked tone of discontent or unhappiness. “Where you there when I fell and got hurt, cause I don’t remember you helping me dust off the dirt?” Likewise, the poem does not use many words as symbols that can have an underlying meaning, except when the author says: “Makes me wanna bury you in the dirt. Put you in the hearse”. This shows that most of the poem lacks in figurative language, which explains the simplicity of the poem. However, the most important is that the young author tries to expresses herself. “These words are coming from me”.

Daddy is a poem written by Jennifer Meyers, published in the book “Fully Loaded Minds Breakin’ Free. An Oasis High School Anthology”

Ubaldo Gandica


No comments: